Friday, October 20, 2006

Callous-backed

I'm a callous-backed woman - for all the wrong reasons. Somehow I seem to have herniated a disc in my lower back so I'm flat on it. You'd think I'd sieze the opportunity to write. No, I'm perfecting my sudoku technique. I have every expectation I will completely recover from this. The doctor gave me a TENS unit (Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulation) which helps with the pain, I got acupuncture and am continuing physical therapy. It seems this is quite common among people of a certain age -- the PT says it's a lifetime of bad postural habits catching up to me. Already I'm seeing some progress. In the meantime, my husband is racking up points for Heaven. He's taking care of the kids, cleaning the house, working . . . he's really showing up in a kind and loving way.

The worst news is all this downtime, not being able to run around with the kids, plus I have to cancel my class on Sunday because I can't sit at all and can't stand for more than a few minutes at a time.

2 comments:

KrisT said...

Oh Anne, that sounds horrible. I suffer a lot of back pain too. Thanks for the reminder, though. I am now sitting up straight. Hope you're feeling better.

Anne Bauer said...

Thanks, Kristie. I go see another neuro today - hopefully I will not have to have surgery. I'm so tired of the drama of it all and ready to move on to recovery. Luckily, I have a wonderful PT and the exercises are helping.