Saturday, December 03, 2005

Daisy the coprophage


Time to introduce Daisy, our 5 mo bichon puppy. She needs a good grooming, but until her parvo shots take hold we have to do it ourselves. Can't have her around adult dogs until then. I wanted to post a pic of her in her new coat, a faux fur white and shiny purple affair with a pink rhinestone B for Bauer, but I missed my chance. And for those of you chortling derisively at me for putting a coat on a dog, screw you. The temp sunk to the single digits, and the snow is up to her muzzle. O picked the coat, and how could I say no?

The first great irony is this sweet, delicate, cossetted little thing snarfs down every piece of shit she can sniff out.

The second is that we chose her breed because they have very little dander and I'm allergic to dogs. That's all worked out okay, but my "hypo-allergenic" dog has severe reactions to most foods. So we buy her prescription dog food and make strong efforts to keep her from eating anything else.

I had this idea that, though it would take some work to train her, one trade-off would be that she would keep the floor around Paul's high chair a little cleaner. I guess she is indirectly keeping it cleaner, because I have to get to the mess right when it happens.

I have always had rescue dogs before this, and they've all been trained - to varying degrees.

What's that on my kid's face?
Santa and his sleigh, courtesy of the face painting booth at the Intermountain Children's Home Festival of Trees. Intermountain helps children heal from attachment disorder, and other problems typically caused by abuse or neglect. The Festival of Trees gala raises money for ICH. We go every year and it's a blast. Paul couldn't peel him little self away from the bouncy house long enough to get his face painted, and was napping when I snapped the photo.

4 comments:

Stephanie said...

I was supposed to face paint this weekend, but the thought of seeing children wearing my hideous creations on their faces was a bit too much. V. cute dog and kid.

Anne Bauer said...

The great thing about painting kids' faces is they have low expectations and high appreciation. So if you can do a butterfly or a heart, it's all to the good. Thanks for the compliment.

k1tchenwitch said...

Okay, I'm sorry, really, I'm SORRY for laughing at you for buying doggie clothes. But I can't help it. They're doggie clothes. They're just funny.

Anne Bauer said...

I wasn't thinking of you when I wrote that -- believe me there are many people laughing like hell over me and my dog. The person I mainly had in mind is a person who also makes fun of me for driving a mini-van. I can't WAIT until she has children and I tell her so. She's going to be even worse than me. (KS you know who you are. xo.)