Sunday, December 11, 2005

The Void

There's a book, the name of which escapes me, that likens ineffectual efforts to "standing at the edge of the pit of hell and throwing in snowballs." I like that.

I've dropped several snowballs into the void in the last several months.

  • Submission snowballs -- I've gotten one (1!) response out of 20 subs since September. (It was an acceptance, happily.) As for the others, I've gotten nothing -- no "go away, you suck," no "we're not publishing anymore," nada.
  • Editing snowballs, little patches and fixes I'm making on my novel which serve the purpose of highlighting more inanity, drivel, and nonsense within the group of words I'm calling a novel. I've said and honestly believed, every time I've said it, that the thing is 75% done. Ha, ha, ha.

Can you tell I'm in one of my "I suck" periods? I do this from time to time, where I sit down and write only because I'm contrary and I'm not going to listen to anyone tell me I can't write, even if it's me.

Went to visit some relatives last Friday. Mother-in-law: "How's the writing going?" Me: "I think I suck, ha ha." 19-yo nephew: "Well, good luck with it." Me: (trying to be ironic): "Thank you." 19-yo nephew, in all sincerity: "You're welcome."

He's a good kid -- full of brio, intelligent, sincere. And he may have just been paying me back for my comments about his numerous piercings -- including his nipple piercing --- eeewwww. Some things an auntie just does not want to think about.

BTGOG, I have not had writer's block. I'm pumping out the prose, and I've got the purple fingers to prove it.

6 comments:

Katie said...

You know, some of my suckiest writing has turned out to be not so bad when I'm in a better mood. I'll bet yours is the same.

Anne Bauer said...

Thanks, Katie. (hugs)

Patry Francis said...

So very true. It's amazing how prose can improve just by sitting in a drawer for a few months!

KrisT said...

One out of twenty? That's just rude. I keep a calendar of when responses for submissions are due, giving each journal an extra four weeks from what they stipulate in their guidelines. If I haven't had heard from them by then, I cross them off my places-to-submit list.

Regarding all that stuff you're writing at the moment, it's going to be great!

Sharon Hurlbut said...

That's okay, I've got 60+ things out on submission, at least a third of which have been in editors' hands for at least 6 months. As long as you keep writing, the rest will take care of itself.

Keep throwing those snowballs, Anne!

Anne Bauer said...

You women rock. It gives me hope to hear those things from all you really accomplished writers!