Wednesday, February 22, 2006

What I did today

Some women writers and I have been in a discussion lately about how we take care of the needs of other people above our own, and how it seems like everything comes before our writing. Though I for one profess to be passionate about it, it seems like I have to connive, cajole and manipulate myself to get going, even when the heavens open up and there's no-one clamoring at my breast or knee or on the telephone. Like today. Here are my accomplishments during my supposed "writing time." I:

Increased my FreeCell score.

Wrote 1,000 words alternating between dribbling a few purple words on the page and Solitaire.

Checked email. 26 times.

Checked Zoetrope.

Rewrote an article for the local paper.

Made some phone calls.

If I could stay focused, what could I do?

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Well, I think there's at least two things going on. There's prioritizing writing. That's hard to do. And then there's distractions. I know for my own writing, distractions aren't always a bad thing. I often have to have my brain off-topic in order to find the right topic and go back on-topic. So at least don't be so hard on yourself. :)